Monday 9 September 2013

Fabio Coentrao: Man United a step down

Fabio Coentrao has suggested that he would have been taking a step down if he had signed for Manchester United on deadline day -- because he already plays for the world's best club. Fabio Coentrao moved to Real Madrid from Portuguese side Benfica in the summer of 2011. David Moyes tried to bring in the Portugal left-back from Real Madrid on a season-long loan only for the move to collapse at the end of the transfer window. And Coentrao, a €30 million signing from Benfica two years ago, has insisted he is pleased to remain at the Bernabeu. "There was the possibility of joining Manchester United, but I stayed at Real Madrid, and that's what matters," Coentrao told Portuguese paper O Jogo. "It would have been bad if I had to stay despite having the chance to move to a better club, but that didn't happen as I already am at the best club in the world. "I want to do better than I did last season, although I was at a very high level already. I want to show everyone that I deserve to be at Real Madrid." However, a report in another Portuguese paper, Record, earlier this week claimed Coentrao cried on the shoulders of his international team-mates Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani after the move to United broke down. Moyes turned his attentions to Coentrao after failing in his attempts to sign Leighton Baines from Everton.
SOURCE: ESPNFC.COM

No comments: